This one pot, easy to prepare, and easy to clean up Stovetop Mac-N-Cheese will be one that you hang onto for years to come.
This Hearty Stovetop Mac N Cheese Recipe is my husbands and my kid’s favorites! They are always so happy when we have it, and any other variety is “just not the same as mom’s”. They are so sweet to always say “Thank You!”
Imagine coming home from a long day at work, it’s raining, or snowing like at my house, and you need some comfort food. Something you can just cuddle up on the couch with a bowl and hang out with the family for a movie or game night. This Stovetop Mac N Cheese recipe is perfect for days like that. It’s quick to put together and very easy to clean up. You can’t beat that right?
4 Simple Steps
- Boil the pasta. I like this large ribbed macaroni. You can use any shape you like though. This variety holds the sauce well. You can salt the water if you want, I don’t like to do this because I try and cook with less salt overall, and season to taste.
- Drain the pasta when it is al dente. Making sure you
dont over cookthe pasta helps the sauce to get inside and outside each shape!
3. Add the butter and half and half to the same pot. Let it heat back up. I add the pasta back to the pot when the butter is almost melted. You can also just add it all at the same time, and stir as it heats.
4. Stir as the pasta heats back up, it will become creamy and the cheese will melt together. If you find your sauce is too thick, you can add more half and half or more shredded cheese. Salt and pepper to taste and add your desired toppings.
10 Minute Morning Prep Steps to Save Time
- Fill your pasta pot with water 1/2 way so its ready to turn on.
- Shred all of your cheeses so they’re ready to add.
- Set your pasta out next to the stove.
You can do some serious damage with this pot of Mac N Cheese! It feeds a crowd or does really well as leftovers. Just don’t overheat it. Invite some friends and make it a show stopper! They’ll be friends for life!
Other Mac N Cheese Topping Ideas
Although this Hearty Stovetop Mac N Cheese is creamy and delicious just the way it is, you can also spice it up with all sorts of variations. Leftover Taco Meat, Buffalo Chicken (which is pictured), Philly Cheese Steak, or BBQ chicken. There are so many options.
Stovetop Mac N Cheese
- 1 Box 16oz Favorite Pasta Shape
- 1 Stick Butter
- 1 Pint Half n Half More or Less depending on thickness
- 1/2 tsp White Pepper
- 4 Cups Shredded White Cheddar
- 2 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar
For Buffalo Variety (Pictured)
- 1 Rotisserie
- 4 Oz Crubled Blue Cheese
- 1/2 Lb. Crumbled Crispy Bacon
- 1/4 Cup Franks Buffalo Wing Sauce To Taste
- Boil Pasta as directed and drain. In Same Pot, add butter and “most” of the half and half. When butter is melted almost all the way, add the pasta back to the pot. Add the white pepper and cheeses and stir as it heats through and gets melted and delicious. Salt and pepper to taste!
Check out these 7 steps to simplify meal planning. Save more time and money by planning out your 2-week menu. You can also subscribe to my email list, and receive the password to my resources page.