I absolutely love this recipe! Chicken Tortilla Soup is such a simple meal, yet you can add some extras to and it will transform into a gourmet meal! I love to do this on weeknights because it goes together so easily in the crock-pot. This recipe also makes an amazing freezer meal!
10-Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup Morning Prep
In the morning before work, or before your day gets started, take a few chicken breasts, 2 large ones to be exact, and put them into the crock-pot. I even put these in right from the freezer! Add the salsa, diced tomatoes, Onion, garlic, corn, and seasonings. Top with the chicken broth.
Turn the crock-pot setting to low for 6-8 hrs and leave it be. At the end of the day, take the chicken out and shred or chunk it up and put it back into the soup.
The Perfect Toppings
The toppings are what make this soup a huge success! It’s certainly delicious as is, but add some extra flare and beauty and you’ll have a happy crowd!
- Shredded Cheddar, Jack, or Pepper Jack Cheese
- Fresh Lime
- Chopped Cilantro
- Sliced Scallion or Green Onion
- Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce
- Fried Tortilla Strips or Tortilla Chips
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 Lg Chicken Breasts
- 2 15oz Can Black Beans
- 1 Cup Frozen Corn
- 1 15oz Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Salsa
- 1/2 Onion Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Garlic
- 4 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Tbsp Chile Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Lime
- 1/4 Cup Sliced Green Onion
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Cilantro
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- Tortilla Chips
- Hot Sauce
- 1 Avocado Sliced
- Place chicken breasts, frozen or thawed, into crock-pot. Add Tomatoes, Salsa, corn, onion, garlic, seasonings, and chicken stock. Drain and rinse beans and add to crock-pot. Turn on Low for 6-8 hrs. When done, shred chicken and return to pot.
- While the soup is finishing, Chop up your veggies and cut your lime into wedges. Shred the cheese, and grab any other toppings you like. Squeeze lime before adding additional toppings to evenly distribute.
- Serve with crushed tortilla chips or homemade tortilla strips.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Freezer Meal
Chicken Tortilla Soup makes an amazing freezer meal! It’s so easy to put one together and pop it in the freezer for later in t
Start by taking out all of your ingredients, freezer bag, cutting board and knife, and measuring utensils. Clean up your area, especially if you are prepping several meals. You’ll want an empty dishwasher and sink!
Place your chicken breasts, frozen or thawed into a 1-gallon freezer bag. next Place all of your corn, tomatoes, and salsa in the bag. Drain and Rinse the beans and add them. Chop your onion and put it in along with all of your seasonings and garlic. Zip the top letting all of the air possible out and lay it flat on a sheet pan in the freezer.
From Freezer To Crock-pot
When you’re ready to cook this version of Chicken Tortilla Soup, thaw it overnight in the fridge. In the morning, put the soup into the crock-pot and add the chicken broth. Turn the crock-pot on low for 6-8 hrs and finish as directed in the
Comment below and tell me what you think! I hope you and your family love it. Add it to your stockpile of recipes! Don’t forget to pin the recipe or share it.